Saturday, November 1, 2008

The wonders of autumn

I've always wanted to live out in the country. I have nature-loving kids who love the outdoors and my husband and I admire all the privacy, peacefulness, beauty and nature that the country has to offer.

We live in a sprawling subdivision where the view out our front door is that of houses with cars, boats and RVs in the driveways. It took me quite a while to feel comfortable inside my house (about four years) as I've always lived in apartments, townhouses and duplexes. I think smaller spaces feel cozy and warm; for a while it felt cold in this house.

Although I don't care much for the view in the front. I do however, love the view and privacy in the back. We have a large maple tree, of which species I don't know, and several evergreens. While standing under the maple tree, before it loses its leaves, its enormous canopy makes me feel safe, calm and relaxed. My little ensuite window overlooks and opens to the backyard and when the rain is falling all over the maple tree's leaves, the sound offers me tranquility while soaking in a hot bath.

Its fallen leaves yield around twenty-five or so, extra large, yard bags every autumn. In years past the kids have had a spectacular time raking up piles and jumping into them. This year, I'm wondering what would happen if we left these leaves on the ground until spring. The grass has always been yucky looking. Maybe the leaves will feed it, or kill it, I don't know. It sure looks pretty like this though.

No comments:

Post a Comment