Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Monday's Mindful Moments on a Wednesday

We are what we think. All that we are arises with our thoughts.
With our thoughts, we make the world.
~Buddha~


Intolerance is itself a form of violence and an obstacle
to the growth of a true democratic spirit.
~Ghandi~

As it has been seen everywhere, and constantly discussed, the results of the American election: Obama will lead with a majority senate. I firmly believe that this man will turn America around. I feel hopeful for the American people, that a day is on the horizon when they will no longer collectively be perceived and hated as the spoiled bullies and evil power mongers they are seen to be worldwide. This perception nags at me because, really, it's the government and its administration that gives this view to others. It's not the average person living in small town America spending time with their family, trying to live their lives. We're all just citizens of countries with judgements placed on us based on our governments and their doings; it's one of those pandemic generalizations.

I am 42 years old and I unabashedly admit that I have never voted. I am an American by birth and a Canadian by growth. In short, I've lived here almost all of my life. I have never figured out how to register to vote as an American nor have I ever looked into the possibility of voting in any of the Canadian elections. Apathy, I'm guilty of it. However, this would have been an election in which to participate. I am thrilled and elated with the outcome. I even teared up listening to Obama's moving speech. History in the making, but not everyone feels this way.

It amazes me that some conservative people, in the political sense, aren't even slightly moved by this event. I get goosebumps thinking that around 130 years ago black people in America were slaves and now a black man is president. I say that's progress, but on reflection it has taken way too long to get to this point. I've heard comments from some people, in which they state, that they think some people voted for him just because he's a black man - probably true, but come on just listen to his delivery of speeches and where he stands on issues. To me, he has a true understanding of "people", he has compassion, empathy, honesty and true desire to make America a better place. He's a civil rights activist in a leadership role. He's riding on the shoulders of such giants as Jesus, Ghandi and Martin Luther King, all of whom were outstanding and equally riveting civil rights activists. In time, I think we'll see progress for the "human" race through his leadership.

The prejudice that goes on for the black community in America is not unlike the prejudice that goes on for Indians, native and eastern, but especially native, in Canada. Where is the compassion, empathy, patience and tolerance for these races and the plight of their generations past? The comments that I've heard over the years, directed towards the people of these races - sickens me and infuriates me. Why can't ignorant people become better educated, respectful, patient and tolerant. Hate is a learned behaviour as is tolerance and understanding, all of which are primarily learned in the home.

After reading several fact-based fiction books to my kids that relate to this subject, I have seriously felt the pain of the characters in these books. Maybe that's it, to be empathetic is to be able to, not only, identify, but to actually feel another's pain through their stories. To clearly understand another we must go back before we can go forward. That is to say, we need to learn through history before we can move through the present and then into the future.

Not to, in any way, minimize the horrific events that anyone has experienced but I am reminded of this type of scenario - someone having never experienced back pain or a headache (yes, there are people who have never had headaches!) to say "I don't know what so-in-so is complaining about, it's just a headache/backache, they should just take a pill and stop whining". Then one day it's their turn to experience it."Oh, my back I can't believe I dismissed so-in-so's pain like that because now, I get it." All I can think is: For humankind, please, we must try harder to get it. We need to think before speaking, EVERY action has a consequence. Before judging, then speaking, think of these phrases that I've personally heard Naomi Aldort use...."Do I know it to be true?" and "Who would I be without that judgement?".

Some really good books, to read aloud to older kids, which give a greater understanding of what people have experienced and may likely become a launch pad into invaluable conversations: Roar of Thunder, Hear My Cry; Underground to Canada; Indian Captive; The Endless Steppe. A couple of movies I can recall: The Story of Ruby Bridges; The Rabbit Proof Fence. A nice picture book is A River Ran Wild. I'm sure we've read or watched others that were really good, but I can't think of them. A great site to visit is: teach with movies, here they will break down the movies into categories of: age appropriateness, values taught, character skills and more. I've used this site often to form my lists of "must see" movies for the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment