Friday, November 14, 2008

Hot cereal

We've enjoyed oatmeal and Cream of Wheat over the years with some people preferring one over the other. Recently, I bought Scottish oatmeal and steel cut oats also known as Irish oatmeal. I bought the Bob's Red Mill brand from Quality Foods. I've always admired this brand, so I thought it time to give it a try. The kids tried both kinds as did I, and we enjoyed them for their different properties: the Irish for its nice little chunks which were a bit chewy; the Scottish for its smooth, rich texture. Overall, they were more enjoyable than regular oatmeal of which I'm not a big fan. With the days getting colder, hot cereal makes for a cozy breakfast.

Being that it is nearly halfway between fall and winter, I heard the honking of the trumpeter swans the other night and again the next morning. They are on their way here for the winter and to hunker down in Farqhuarson Farm until around February, I think, at which time they leave for their other favourite place in the far north. These birds are Canada's largest waterfowl and are a marvelous sight (and sound) when flying in formation across the sky.

I've come across, my husband's, Uncle Tom's delightful wildlife books and activity books again. I came across them when I was trying to find books about salmon. I must say these books have not been bragged about enough in our family. I believe Tom used a black fine tipped felt pen or black ink pen because all of the pictures and text are black ink looking. These books are not busy with all kinds of stuff written in margins, they have straight forward, short write-ups with hand drawn pictures of each species. I know that these books were, at one time, available at ABC Books, but the last time I was there, I didn't see them. I've seen them on the ferries and at The Bay. Some of the books and activity books can be viewed at Heritage House Publishing: Wildlife of Western Canada; Wildlife Activity Books and Critters for Kids all by Tom Hunter.

No comments:

Post a Comment