Monday, November 17, 2008

Monday's Mindful Moments



Once upon a time, while surrounded by four wee little children, a woman, whom very nearly lost her mind, most gratefully found solace in a cup of tea.

I can't remember when I started drinking tea, but I'm almost certain it was when I began having kids. Maybe it was when I used to take my eldest, whom would have been two at the time, to a little play group called the Tot Stop. It was there that I made many connections with other women (moms) and started feeling that the island was my home.

Tea is very ritualistic. Get the teapot nice and hot with tap water or a bit of boiling water; boil some water; empty teapot of hot water; add tea bag(or loose tea) to teapot; pour in boiling water; let it steep for about four minutes; add cream to favourite cup(used to add sugar, but gave that up!); pour hot steaming tea into favourite cup then find a place in the house to have my "tea break".

I remember reading Angela's Ashes (one of my favourite books) and Frank McCourt writes about his mother drinking tea. When she went to America she was shocked that the tea was in a bag, as she had only known tea in loose form and there was no way that tea in a bag was going to provide a "good" cup of tea. Tea seemed to bring her comfort and got her through a lot of tough times.

There are many tea shoppes around. They all seem to have some kind of theme, some are Zen-like, some are trendy and chic and some are Oriental. Although, they all have similarities of
ritual and slowing down, I much prefer the British style tea. I like the tea cups and saucers which have a simple floral theme in bright colours. I like the little tea leaf scoop that reads "a perfect cup". I like the little sieve placed over the tea cup to catch the loose tea. I like the tea and scones with whipped cream. I like the three tiered dessert stands. I like the little sandwiches with the crusts cut off. I like the tea service all on a tea tray. Tea brings soothing calmness.


There are a few hours in life more agreeable than the hour dedicated to the ceremony known as afternoon tea.
~Henry James~

No comments:

Post a Comment