Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday's Mindful Moments

















The bluebird carries the sky on his back.
~Henry David Thoreau~


The stellar's jay is the official bird of British Columbia. Its magnificent color astounds me. I've been woken up several times this month to the intense discussions of the stellar's jays in my backyard. I've always enjoyed nature and its peaceful, serene tranquility and then I heard how very loud nature can be when we were camping at Cluxewe Campground three years ago. The stellar's jays were in fine form squawking away. Along with the birds, there was a chipmunk up in the trees chattering, screeching and eating the seeds in cones and then dropping the cones to the ground at a great pace with a loud thud every time. There were ravens and eagles amass. The nature was overwhelmingly spectacular as was the location of the campground. We only stayed one night, but wow, what memories we have of that road trip to the northern part of the island.

Henry David Thoreau is a true simplicity icon. I haven't read all of "Walden", but I think it's a book to which I will always be going back and forth. I started on my simplicity journey about seven or eight years ago and I don't recall the exact precursor or impetus to my journey, but it may have been one particularly hard year. It was a pivotal moment for my mind, and an extraordinary moment for my soul. That was when I jumped off the treadmill and starting going against the grain. Homeschooling became part of my new lifestyle as did removing myself from a hectic life of trivial commitments. A fun little picture book that gives an introduction to Thoreau is "Henry Hikes to Fitchburg".

There have been many times where I've lost my focus and I've had to re-read some of the important books that have helped shaped me. It seems I always come back to a wonderful book called "The Circle of Simplicity" by Cecile Andrews, this book grounds me. She had another book published in 2006 which I just picked up from the library called "Slow is Beautiful". Another book which resonated with me is called "Plain and Simple: A Woman's Journey to the Amish". It was amazing to hear about these simple, quiet, and peaceful people who live such a plain life with the only the basics. The Quakers, or "the friends" as they're also known, are very similar in their lifestyle. Elaine St. James writes a concise and straightforward little book called "Living the Simple Life". There are so many books out there on this subject and new ones being written all the time. I often check the library for what's new.

We've take this season off (and will probably take the winter off as well) from doing any lessons as I would prefer to use the time in another way. I had hoped we would spend the time playing games, getting out in nature, being creative, reading wonderful books and watching outstanding films together. I figure, if we can begin Mondays by reflecting and then take a bit of time to make a plan for the week to, hopefully, include at least two or three of these activities every day or so, then I will be quite content and fulfilled.
I've always wanted to try to begin Mondays (actually every day for that matter)with a meditative, contemplative or reflective moment with my kids. Being grateful, and mindful in the moment that is before us, giving pause to what is. For it is when we are quiet that we hear the inner voice and we become enlightened. Unfortunately, this didn't transpire today, we were able to participate in a field trip to the fish hatchery. We've been there many times to watch them take eggs and add the milt, but this time they went a little further and performed a dissection of the salmon. I suppose we will try again tomorrow to take a moment, after all, it is timely, it's Remembrance Day.








2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for your lovely words! They're an inspiration to me. It's so hard to keep living simply these days! Thank you again.
    Cecile Andrews

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this comment overwhelms me (to tears actually)because I never, in my life, expected to find a comment from you here - I am deeply touched. Over the years, I have considered you my unmet friend. Everytime I sit down to tea and bring out your book, I feel like you're right there with me, validating my thoughts and feelings, mentoring me, and keeping me on my path.
    Fondly, Pam

    ReplyDelete