Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Lunch with Nana

My kids have had lunch dates with their nana many times over the past few years. Mackenzie decided that it had been a while since she had lunch with Nana and she would like phone her (on the cordless phone) to make a lunch date. I'm always a little concerned when my kids want to make plans with other people, my concern lies with the other person and their potential awkwardness with my child's request. Now, I know that concern needs to be removed and the situation needs to be addressed by the two people involved. I do however, think it's important to teach my children common courtesy and tact. I think it's important that they learn to have some forethought about others and have an awareness of what others might be experiencing. I suggested to Mackenzie that Nana's been pretty busy this week and perhaps she may not be able to go out until next week. I asked Mackenzie who would be paying for her lunch and she claimed she still had some spending money and could pay for her own lunch. With these details determined, she made the call. They will be having lunch on Friday and Nana will treat as she too had been thinking about going out for a lunch date. Nana asked Mackenzie if she wanted Hanna to come along or would she prefer to go alone. Mackenzie chose alone. As a twin, it's not very often that the opportunity to go "alone" arises.

I reminded Mackenzie that we have science club on Friday, but she much prefers going out for lunch with Nana. I suspect there will be a lot of learning going on while she's out for lunch. Who am I to determine whether she would learn more at science club or learn more going out with Nana. Nana always has great stories to tell, an interesting perspective on subjects and desire to spend time together. Mackenzie has also taken an interest in cooking and will enjoy reading the menu and picking something interesting. She'll also enjoy figuring out how the food was assembled as they will be eating Mexican food.

No comments:

Post a Comment