Sunday, November 30, 2008

Go fish

Hopefully the "catch of the day" is learning. I've bought a lot of games over the past few years. I'm annoyed at myself because too many of them we have never played. A few years ago I went to hear Catherine Levison speak about A Charlotte Mason Education, an education philosophy that I love. While at this one day event, she spoke about a few games which I decided I must buy. These games were: The Garden Game - we played it a few times and found it to be a little boring, but we'll give it another try before giving up; Atlas in a Box, but I couldn't find it anywhere, so I bought Take Off instead - which we haven't played yet; Go Fish for Art - we played this last night, a quicker version than the one recommended. I could see how it might be hard for Owen, given the names of the paintings and the names of the artists are difficult to read and pronounce. The artist's sets do have their own number to go by though (all of Van Gogh's paintings are number 4) which helped and we chose to play by calling out the numbers instead of the artist's name. We did try to pronounce some of the names and we spent some time talking about the paintings.

I ordered the Go Fish for Art from Birdcage Press and when I ordered those card sets I also ordered Old Mummy and Old Dinosaur. These card games can be played in the Old Maid fashion as well as Go Fish or Concentration. All the of the Birdcage Press cards have wonderful pictures and are thick and durable. Birdcage looks like they have some new cards now...do I dare buy more? We played two games of Old Maid using each of the "Old" sets and a couple of games of Go Fish using the Birds of North America cards, which are just regular playing cards that we bought from the Nature House at Miracle Beach with a different bird on each card. All of the examining of these cards with their pretty pictures and interesting information led to lengthy games being played. By the time we got to Go Fish for Art, I was pretty played out so we just played a quick game. These cards are all great fun and good quality, perhaps they get used more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment