Saturday, September 12, 2009

Travel Log - Day 12

Arrived in St. John's at 2:30pm. Stayed a while in the old part of town. Saw lots of the colourful row houses and some of the main street downtown. Not at all what either of us expected. I should have read up on Newfoundland before arriving here. I thought St. John's was going to be a small, fishing village, but it's a city of 100,000 people! After getting lost plenty, we finally figured out how to get to the furthest eastern point in North America called Cape Spear - beautiful spot.

The sun had just gone down by the time we got to Cape Spear. After a walk around, we left to find a hotel. A few we stopped at were already sold out to some insurance company that was having a convention with 1500, out of town, people who were staying in the local area. I was shocked - 1500 insurance people at a convention here?

Finally we found the last room available which was in a very expensive Super 8 Motel. As it turned out some of those same insurance people were having a party across the hall from us until 1am; I promptly called and complained after the party woke me up. Then at 7am kids were running up and down the hallway upstairs, over my head. After I tactfully voiced my disappointment over the cost of this place, versus the extremely wonderful, yet less expensive stay, in Ottawa, I was given a $30 discount which pleased me much. Needless to say, this was our grumpy point of the trip. We were pretty exhausted after the long ferry ride, well more so, driving across the country then the long ferry ride and a couple nights of very little sleep, put simply = crankiness for Pam and her mommy!

No comments:

Post a Comment