Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Travel Log - Day 1

Maple Rige, BC - Banff, Alberta ~ 923km


We started out from Maple Ridge because we were spending time with my aunt post-surgery. I left Vancouver Island on Sunday and my mom left the island on the Friday before me. After spending a couple of days with my mom's sister while she recovered, we decided that we would leave on Tuesday, September 1st as planned.

Our first stop was Boston Bar, BC and this town is the stereotypical small town with its small town eateries. We stopped here for lunch and listened to the many stories of Candy the server. She had lots to tell of her life....this is what I was hoping to experience - lives of Canadians all over the country.

Next stop, Kamloops, BC whereupon getting out of the car my mother's paranoia strikes and she inquires "I smell smoke, do you smell smoke?". This concerns her because her sister smelled smoke quite often for which she sought medical attention and that was when it was discovered that she had a aneurysm that needed immediate removal. I remind my mother of the huge forest fires currently burning in this area of BC...."Oh right, yeah the fires".

While passing through Golden, BC, I wonder how this town got its name. Minutes later, as the sun went down behind the jagged mountain peaks it caused an explosion of sun rays to stretch out over the sky which in turn, laid a brilliant, golden blanket over the land....hence the name, I suppose. It was unlike any sunset I've ever witnessed; a gift of golden brilliance.

We arrived in Banff at 9:30pm right after a storm had hit which caused a power outage, but the power had come back on when we got into town. We didn't see the storm on our way, it must have been coming from another direction. We checked into the Best Western, Banff. Lovely, clean and comfortable and includes a continental breakfast.

~ move clock ahead one hour it's mountain time~

No comments:

Post a Comment