Monday, December 22, 2008

Monday's Mindful Moments

Being fairly new to blogging, I've begun to find some of the most creative, thought provoking, inspiring, motivating, interesting women while blog hopping; discovering and learning new ideas.

This is one of my most recent finds. While not feeling quite comfortable enough to post this on her site, I'm posting it here.

I've spent quite a bit of time thinking about a word for 2009. I have come to suspect that 2009 will be a year of "change" for us as we've tossed around the idea of selling our house and renting. It will also be the year that I have to contribute financially - it's time for me to earn money! I'd like my kids to be able to continue homeschooling while I'm earning money. This has led me to begin looking into foster care and if we do provide foster care then this will be more "change". While change is a good word to describe 2009, that's just it, it's more of a description and an outcome for the happenings. I decided to dig a little deeper.

I know it must be the year to look at my eating issues, my addiction to sweets. Again, another change, but that makes me think I must learn to "adapt" to the changes that will be taking place even though I don't really want to make these changes. Dig a little deeper and I realize more; I need to figure out how to deal with the changes. I questioned, "just how will I adapt to the changes?". I reflected for some time, became quiet enough for the answer to reveal itself in the word "detached".

Defined, detached is to be "free from emotional and intellectual involvement". This is clearly something that I am NOT. I am very attached to our lifestyle, our home, being free from schedules, eating my sweets while sipping my tea,....sigh. I need to research, most likely, through Buddhism, the act of becoming detached and the ritual I will need to learn to get me there. While heading down the simplicity path several years ago, I did a bit of reading on this topic, but that was a few years ago. Thinking of Naomi Aldort and her coined phrase, which I'm thinking it originates with Byron Katie, "who would I be without [fill in the blank]". Whenever I fill in the blank and really think about who I would be, the word free comes to my mind because I would essentially be free from emotional and intellectual involvement which is what it is to be "detached".

I've already found a starting place. There's a Law of Detachment that I've forgotten about. I need to do some more Byron Katie and Deepak Chopra reading next year.



This moment is as it should be. This moment is my teacher. If I struggle against this moment, I struggle against the flow of the universe.

~ I can't remember the author, but I had this taped to my cupboard when my kids were very little; the beginning of my simplicity journey. ~

4 comments:

  1. My word for this year -2008- was Intention. (I love Christine Kane.)
    I've been thinking on this year's word.
    It needs to be something that gets to the heart of all matters for me - like Mindfulness. Or maybe even more fundamental, like Breathe.
    :) Sounds silly, but true.
    I'm pondering, still.
    Ah,.... Still.
    I might be onto something with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Stephanie, thanks for all your comments here. I've been reading your blog a lot and am truly loving it. I spent some time last night reading some of your older posts and about year ago I think you were speaking of slowing down(stillness), breathing and meditating; taking time for yourself in those capacities. You must have learned much over the course of a year, because I can sense a transformation in the tone and words of your posts. BTW, lovely poetry and lovely pond! It's great that you have all that time to look back on and read from, reflect and remember. I've only been blogging for a couple of months, but it's helped in more ways then I ever anticipated. Too bad this wasn't available to me seven or eight years ago when I was in the thick of it all. It would be incredible to read my thoughts from back then. ps...were you seriously awake at 4:36 this morning? Have a magical night with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam - I was!!
    I've been on the craziest dang schedule - I start nodding off at around eight, and crawl into bed with a book, and then I'm asleep by nine! :)
    So I wake up around four or five.
    I don't begrudge it, though, it allows me lots of lovely quiet and thinking time in the mornings -before the babes wake up. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely post about your word for 2009! :) I am pondering what to choose as well and found your thoughts very inspiring. :) Change is coming in my life too and I've been wondering HOW to handle it best, so I do appreciate what you have to say. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete