Wednesday, December 17, 2008

An epoch

My first gift of the season came unwrapped in the form of an epoch.

As Shawn and I were just about to drive over the 5th Street Bridge on Monday evening after a few hours of shopping, the traffic began to slow and a city bus up ahead of us put on its hazard lights. Traffic flowing in the opposite direction was almost at a complete stop. A few drivers began to honk their horns impatiently, but through the car honks, I could recognize another honk, that of a majestic creature known as a Trumpeter Swan! I spotted the tips of its enormous wings flapping and my husband had thought it had possibly been hit by a car. We both wondered how it came to be walking on the bridge, that maybe it had flown onto the sidewalk and somehow became confused by the cars. Drivers did nothing to help it. Some kept honking and some tried to scare it by driving towards it. I couldn't bear to sit and watch. I hopped out of the van and ran up to the beautiful bird just as a man was approaching it as well. We both opened up are arms and created a winglike span, gathered around it and directed it off the bridge down a side street. As I gazed into the cygnet's eyes I could sense its fear and confusion. Being able to come that close to the grand, wild creature with a wingspan longer than I am tall, caused my heart to swell; I was in the presence of greatness.



Mailbox treat = Jello containers; Note = tonight Uncle John will be coming for dinner so you can help me plan our dinner and dessert, as well as, make the table all pretty with candles.

1 comment:

  1. Have you read "the trumpet of the swan" by e. b. white? My kids look for Louis everytime we drive by farquharson's.....what an experience!

    ReplyDelete