Friday, January 23, 2009

Ten minute bathroom conversations

These happen daily as Shawn is getting ready for work in the morning around 7:30ish. Owen, without fail (unless he's exhausted and still sleeping) springs out of bed and plunks himself down on the porcelain throne to have a ten minute bathroom conversation with his dad. These are priceless moments for me to overhear.

Yesterday Owen is chatting on and then attempts to read something that I'm guessing is on some hair product bottle:

Saaaa......saaaannnnn......saaaannnnns.....sans....sans?
Yeah, it's French for without.
Oh. Sansa, sensa, sensay.
That's really not a word Owen.
Yeah, you know sansay...or....sensay....a Chinese fighting teacher.
Oh right, Sansei. Yeah.

I'm in bed thinking two things:

1)I'm ignorant about Chinese fighting teachers
2) Where has he heard this term?

I look for the word in the dictionary and its defined as: A third generation Japanese American.
I guess an elder teacher of sorts? Where did he hear about this? He tells me on the cartoon Kim Possible, the martial arts teacher had been addressed as Sansei....something.

Interesting.

Today, the bathroom conversation begins with Owen chattering and then:

Dad, aren't you excited about the ribs that Grandma's cooking tonight? I love ribs.
Yum, oh yeah, I can't wait.
I think I'll be dead by the time they find out if aliens really exist. I really wanna know.
Yeah, I don't know if they'll find out or not.
Did you know it takes about five days to get to the moon.
Really?
Yeah, I think it's like 105 hours.
So, that's between four and five days I guess.
Dad, I don't think we'll ever be able to go to the moon together.
Probably not.


Ahh, the moments that would not be if we were in a morning rush.

2 comments:

  1. Oooooh, that's so sweet!
    And my Little Son has come up with many a fascinating interest from cartoon network! Things (like that) that I would have never thought to discuss with him!

    Beautiful and wonderful, Pam!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love at the end how you point out about not being in a rush. I haven't been listening as much lately to oldest DS.

    ReplyDelete