Monday, January 12, 2009

Monday's Mindful Moments

Sisterhood: It's powerful, magnificent and treasured.

When we first moved here from Vancouver, it took me about five years to feel like this new place was home. During the first year on the island, my belly was growing our first child and I attended a small play group in the very rural area in which we lived. The group of women there were funny, friendly and had children, but they partied a lot.

After that first year, we then settled into our duplex of nine years which was about thirty minutes from where we had lived rurally. I didn't keep in contact with that group of women because I didn't feel deeply connected to them. That's the thing about me, I'm always deep and looking for meaningful moments.

It wasn't until Mitch was two, that I started going to another play group. It was at that same play group, three years later, that I connected with a group of women. I started a woman's, once a month, group. The premise was to meet once a month at each other's homes (since there were twelve women) each woman only had to host once a year. From that group stemmed a book club, running group (Sole Sisters) and other get-togethers. It was really what I needed at that time in my life.

People come in to your life for a reason, a season, a short time and sometimes a lifetime. I believe that that particular group of women came into my life for a reason (connection), a season (raising very young children) and a short time (four years). But, I was still needing something deeper; I needed like-minded people. After reading The Editor's Journal titled "Language Helps us Find Our Tribe" in Life Learning Magazine, I realize now, that's what I was seeking all along. It wasn't until I started homeschooling that I began meeting so many people that shared the same "language" as me.

When I became fortunate enough to meet Dana, Sheri, Kristen and Nancy through homeschooling, I now know, I found my "tribe". A group of women with whom I am able to be myself without fear of judgement, who support me and my choices, but also have the courage to challenge my thinking on many subjects and levels; they speak my "language". They have come to me for a reason ( deep, meaningful connection of women who also homeschool ) a season (older children and I'm older too) and they've come to me, hopefully, for a lifetime.




Some People
by
Rachel Field


Isn't it strange some people make
You feel so tired inside,
Your thoughts begin to shrivel up
Like leaves all brown and dried!

But when you're with some other ones,
It's stranger still to find
Your thoughts as thick as fireflies
All shiny in your mind!

1 comment:

  1. I due believe people come into your life for a reason. It was the weekend we all shared at the homeschool convention a couple of years ago that I knew that we were all meant to have met. I have never known a group of women that I can be so totally honest and open with. I too hope that this is a lasting friendship that we can continue to share ideas and views with each other.

    ReplyDelete